Growing your own Basil!
Today, we’re going to talk about one of the most popular herbs to grow each year: basil!
For those of you who love cooking, you’ll know that this herb adds so much flavor and nutrients to your food, so why not make it yourself!
Growing your own basil is easy—you can either plant the seeds indoors in the springtime or buy young plants from the supermarket. There’s a wide selection of basil to choose from, from sweet and aromatic to spicy and flavorful. Whichever kind you decide on, you’ll be able to enjoy your own fresh basil harvest all summer long!
If you’re interested in giving this a try, here’s your quick guide to growing basil from seed:
1. Start quality seeds: Before you get started, buy high-quality seeds from a trusted seller as quality can determine the flavor and health of your crop.
2. Plant at the right time: Basil grows best in warm soil and cooler temperatures. In temperate climates, start your seeds indoors six to eight weeks before the last spring frost.
3. Give the seeds the right environment: When growing Basil from seed, use a light-based starting mix of soil, perlite, and vermiculite. Water the seeds with a spray bottle and cover them with a light-blocking material, such as plastic wrap.
4. Keep it warm and moist: Keep your seedlings in a sunny and warm location like a south-facing window. Make sure the soil remains damp but not soggy.
5. Ferilize your basil: When it’s time to transplant outside, feed your Basil a high-nitrogen fertilizer whenever it begins to flower.
6. Harvest correctly: Cut the leaves from the top down to open up the basil bush and encourage more leafing from the bottom. Also, you can pinch the leaves and flowers off the top of the plant to encourage further growth.
Once you get the hang of it, growing basil from seed can be a fun and rewarding experience. So get your gardening gloves on and get started!
By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to enjoy the flavor and freshness of your own homegrown basil for many months to come. Happy growing!